|The First Heroes|
|Editor||Harry Turtledove and Noreen Doyle|
|Cover artist||Peter Fiore|
|Genre(s)||Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Science fiction, Alternate History|
The First Heroes (Tor, 2004) is a collection of short stories and novellas set in the Bronze Ages of various cultures, including Ancient Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, Incan, British, and a number of fictional societies. The anthology is a mix of straight historical fiction, alternate history, fantasy, and science fiction. It was edited by Harry Turtledove and Noreen Doyle and includes Turtledove's novella "The Horse of Bronze."
Contents[edit | edit source]
- Gene Wolfe, "The Lost Pilgrim"
- Brenda Clough, "How the Bells Came from Yang to Hubei"
- Judith Tarr, "The God of Chariots"
- Harry Turtledove, "The Horse of Bronze"
- Josepha Sherman, "A Hero for the Gods"
- S.M. Stirling, "Blood Wolf" (sequel to Nantucket Series)
- Noreen Doyle, "Ankhtifi the Brave is Dying"
- Katharine Kerr & Debra Doyle, "The God Voice"
- Karen Jordan Allen, "Orqo Afloat on the Willkamayu"
- Larry Hammer, "The Myrmidons"
- Gregory Feeley, "Giliad"
- Laura Frankos, "The Sea Mother's Gift"
- Lois Tilton, "The Matter of Ahhiyans"
- Poul Anderson, "The Bog Sword"