Mosasaurus ("lizard of the Meuse River", for the location of the first-found specimen) is a genus of mosasaurs, extinct carnivorous aquatic seafaring reptiles. It existed during the Maastrichtian age of the late Cretaceous period, between about 70 and 66 million years ago, in western Europe, North America, and possibly Japan and New Zealand.
Mosasaurus in Chicxulub Asteroid Missed
Mossies still swamed the oceans in the modern era. They were warm blooded, giving live birth, and needing air to breathe, despite being aquatic. People hunted mossies (and plessies) for their meat and liver oil. However, mossies were dangerous animals and could easily kill people.
When hunted, mossies had four different options: young ones were simply harpooned, others fled, others dove, and, in the worst case scenario, they charged the harpooning vessels.
- New Water mosasaur, a fantasy analog in "The Mrem Go West".
- Leviathan, a creature in Darkness, which appears to be based on mosasaurs and/or plesiosaurs.
- Analog, Vol. CXXXX, Nos 1 & 2, January/February, 2020, pgs. 57.
- Analog, May/June 2019, Vol. CXXXIX, nos. 5 & 6, pg. 14.
- Analog, Vol. CXXXX, Nos 1 & 2, January/February, 2020, pgs. 52-71.
- Ibid., pg. 62.
- Ibid, pgs. 52-71.