The Gavras were a political family in the Empire of Videssos; the height of their power took place roughly 1200 years after the empire's founding. At this period, the throne changed back and forth between the Sphrantzes and the Gavras family due to assassinations, coups, and palace and bureaucratic intrigue.
Prominent members of the Gavras family include:
- Mavrikios Gavras, Avtokrator of Videssos; slain in battle.
- Thorisin Gavras, Mavrikios' younger brother and second-in-command of the empire, later Avtokrator.
- Alypia Gavra, daughter of Mavrikios, a historian.
- Ortaias Sphrantzes, usurping Avtokrator, first husband of Alypia.
- Marcus Aemilius Scaurus, leader of the "Ronam" mercenaries, second husband of Alypia.
- Alania Vourtze, wife of Thorisin.
- Pharos Gavras, son of Thorisin and Alania.